Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Laine and Jared

One of my favorite parts of motherhood is watching the relationship between my two kids grow. Laine and Jared are very close and they rarely fight. I have decided this is because we have moved so often in their short lives. We have changed houses and said goodbye to friends (and even family), but they have always been there for each other.

There have been two instances of their mutual affection in the last couple of days that have truly melted my heart. Oddly enough, they both involve food. Yesterday I was in the kitchen and Jared was following me around asking a million questions (as four year olds tend to do). He saw a bag of M&Ms on the counter and asked if he could have two. I agreed and he opened up his hand to receive his candy. Then he opened up his other hand and demanded two for Laine. When I explained that she was upstairs resting and didn’t need candy he looked at me with horror and very patiently explained that if he was getting two M&Ms then she was too.

Then this afternoon I was making lunch and I asked the kids what kind of fruit they wanted. They both said they wanted a pear. I looked in the fridge and saw we only had one left so I explained that they had to split it. They both complained that they wanted a whole one. I ended up giving each a half of a pair and a half of a peach. Jared finished his food quickly and said he was still hungry. He looked over at Laine’s as yet untouched pear and asked me if he could have some. I said no (remembering how much they had wanted their pears) but maybe she would give him a slice of her peach. She said, “Here you go, Jared” and promptly handed him two of her four pear slices.

I know there will be plenty of sibling rivalry and fighting to come. But right now their love for each other is so sweet and so pure that it makes my heart ache and reminds me to be thankful for every moment I have with these two wonderful little people.

No comments: