Monday, October 22, 2007

Ghost Tour

My MOMS (Moms Offering Moms Support) Group had a Ladies Night Out on Saturday that included dinner and a ghost tour in the historic downtown area of Round Rock. It was a blast! We started out at the Louisiana Longhorn Café (Louisiana because of the Cajun food and Longhorn because almost everything here is named after the University of Texas team) where the menu features frog legs, jambalaya and every shrimp dish you can imagine. I stuck with a salad and grilled fish but most of my friends were more adventurous so I was able to sample some delicious, and spicy, dishes.

After dinner we went to a 100 year old tea house next door to the café. It was here that our tour began. We learned the history of the building and the strange phenomena that has taken place there. Then we went to the building where the outlaw Sam Bass was fatally wounded in a shootout with Texas Rangers in 1878. The building is now a club and there was a band playing on the stage in the exact spot where the shooting occurred. From there we went to another building and learned about the filming of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and the real-life case (in Wisconsin) that the movie was based on. Our last stop was at the Palm House Museum. The museum is in a house that is over a hundred years old and was donated by a family of Swedish settlers. The Palm family had eight children and one of them died in the house. Her ghost is reported to haunt it still.

Although I wasn’t too spooked by the tour I loved hearing the history of the area. The downtown area is my favorite place in town. I can’t wait to go there with Jed again and try to spook him with my new ghostly knowledge.

No comments: