Monday, October 15, 2007

Laine's first day of school

Today was Laine’s first day of school. She is joining Jared at Sunrise Montessori. Normally a child has to be three years old to attend the school but last week they evaluated Laine and agreed to let her start one month early. This means she is the youngest, and also the littlest, child in the school. When I saw her lined up with all of the other kids and saw that she was several inches shorter than most of them it made my heart ache to think of my little one in this world of big kids.

I know Laine was scared but she bravely went to the playground with Jared and tried to join in with the other girls. She was doing fine until I said goodbye and then she started to cry and I wanted to cry along with her. I left her with her teacher and then secretly watched her through the window. When it was time for the kids to go inside I left.

When I came back at noon to pick them up Laine was as happy as could be. She told me all about her day, her snack of a banana being the most memorable thing for her. When we got home she told daddy about school and when I asked her if she wanted to go back she smiled and gave me a thumbs up.

I am crossing my fingers that she will still remember how much fun she had when I leave her on Wednesday.

No comments: